Thursday, August 25, 2005

Technical support advice

Once I was just a crazy kid who thought that the computers at school were just toys to be played with at school and home, I used to find any way I could to get arround security and make the computer do what I wanted despite wether it was made to do it or not, or even if ithe operating system could handle it. Now that I have grown up and matured, I realize that the safeguards that were put on the systems were for a reason, the reason didn't realy apply to me, but to the many people out there who don't know how to manage a computer properly. I admit that in the past I make my fair share of mistakes but that is how I learned what I know, I ended up re-installing my copy of winodws or dos or linux many many times before I learned how not to corrupt it so much that the only way to get it running again was to format the hard drive and restore the system, there are still many things that I do not know, but I think that I know almost everything that is relevent to what I want to do. Not that I intend not to learn anymore, but that I can slow down on my learning. I currently work as technical support for a computer manufacturer, not all people like their techincal support representitaves, but I try to be one of the more likable people out there, I do my best to help the customers who call in and make their experience one of the highlights of thier day, and most of the time I succeed, but sometimes there is just that one customer who wants to be a pain no matter what I do to make him/her happy. If people who called in to techincal support would actually want to be helped, not ask some impossible task like snapping my fingers and having the compter fixed I think that the technical support industry would be the better for it, the techincal support agents would be more happy, and they would provide a better quality sevice, so I would encourage everyone who reads this to try when you call in to techincal support to be positive and try to follow directions as asked and your experience with technical support will be much better.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love computers, I love the fact that you can make them do whatever you want. I really enjoyed hearing about the level of maturity it requires to understand that although you CAN, doesn't mean you have to. Working in tech support myself, I understand exactly what you mean =) But honestly, I like the mad ones. I like NOT doing things just because I can ;) So much for that maturity thing... oh well.

9:00 PM, September 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home